You then decide PowerShell is next viable option when deleting so you use the following script:
$spapp = Get-SPServiceApplication -Name "
Remove-SPServiceApplication $spapp -RemoveData
You receive another error and are still unable to delete the Search Service Application.
Fix: STSADM becomes your friend again here. You will first need to grab the GUID for the Search Service Application. You can do this by...
- Log into the server hosting Central Admin
- Open SharePoint 2010 Management Shell (PowerShell) as Administrator
- Enter Get-SPServiceApplication
- Find the Service Application you wish to delete and copy the GUID (You can do this by right clicking in the PowerShell window -> hitting Select All -> Control + C -> Right Click and Paste into a fresh Notepad document -> copy the GUID from the application you wish to delete)
- While still in PowerShell, type: stsadm -o deleteconfigurationobject -id *type in GUID here*